Physical therapy is an integral part of rehabilitative and preventive care for all different kinds of people. This kind of therapy is designed to help improve mobility and quality of life for those in need of professional treatment. It is the duty of the physical therapist to evaluate a patient’s medical history, diagnose illnesses or injuries, create customized care plans, coordinate physical exercises during sessions, and record and assess progress made during the span of a patient’s physical therapy journey.
These job duties require a system that promotes efficiency and organization within the practice. An EMR system does just this. An electronic medical record (EMR) system is software on a computer designed to keep a practice’s patient records in an organized and easily accessible arrangement. Your EMR system is definitely something worth mentioning to physical therapists during your recruiting process.
What is the physical therapy field like?
The physical therapy field is often a competitive one. In order to be considered a qualified therapist, one must first obtain a Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) degree from a limited number of accredited programs. That’s only after having completed a bachelor’s degree in a related field.
Then, most physical therapists typically complete at least one year of residency at a physical therapy practice. Therapists must be licensed, as per the requirements of every state in the U.S. Licensing comes from passing the National Physical Therapy Examination administered by the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy. After a therapist has a few years of work experience under their belt, they can opt to become a board-certified specialist through the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties certification exam.
Why might people be entering the physical therapy field?
Projected job growth for this industry is at 21%, according to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, which is a projection that is much faster than the average. Reasons for the growth in this industry include:
- Greater public interest in health — In recent years, there has been a significant uptick in the public’s interest in health. Taking care of one’s physical and mental health has become a priority for millions of Americans.
- Demand from the aging population — Demand for physical therapists is projected to increase. In part, this increase is because of the population of baby boomers who are likely to be needing physical therapy. This particular population is proving to be more physically active than earlier generations.
- Growing sports medicine industry — The sports medicine industry has experienced a boom in recent years. This boom has contributed to the increase in the need for recruiting physical therapy talent.
- Increased prevalence of chronic health issues — Obesity and other related chronic health issues have become especially prevalent in recent times. The increase in obesity has led to an increased need for physical therapists to help manage its effects.
- Developments in health technology — With the development of medical tech, there has also been an increase in patient survival rates and rehabilitative needs. These have contributed to the outpatient physical therapy field’s growth. Technology developments, like electronic medical records (EMRs), have incorporated quality care into the lives of millions of patients.
Due to the physical therapy field’s growth and its competitive nature, filling positions can sometimes be an arduous process. That’s why, when recruiting talent, it’s important to emphasize what sets your practice apart from the others. Having incorporated an EMR system into your practice is an indicator to the talent you’re recruiting that your practice is efficient, organized and effective.
What are the benefits of an EMR system in a physical therapy practice?
- Easier scheduling.
- Cloud-based access for ease of access and backup in case of emergency.
- Improved quality of patient care.
- Coordinated care efforts.
How can an EMR system enhance the goals of physical therapists?
- Ability to fit in more patients — An electronic medical record system can allow for a practice to fit more patients into a workday. This is because the technology is more time efficient. With cloud-based software, updates can be made and stored away in seconds. This is an important talking point when recruiting talent. It can help a physical therapist see more patients in a day and signifies the practice’s likelihood of growth.
- Cost-effectiveness for the practice — The presence of a good EMR system can indicate that a practice has chosen a cost-effective means of organization for itself.
- Accessible documentation — With the swipe of a finger, documentation containing the details of medical and injury history, diagnoses, and treatment plans can be made readily available. Accessible documentation can aid physical therapists in their goals to provide quality care for patients. It can be an attractive component when recruiting talent.
How can an EMR system help with recruiting talent into the physical therapy field?
- Keeping up with technological advances — More and more physical therapy practices and other health facilities are turning to technology to help increase workplace productivity. An EMR system signals to your newcomers that your practice is modern and organized. It may even make your facility more attractive to physical therapy talent during your recruiting process.
- Being environmentally friendly — Using an EMR system significantly cuts down on the need for paper in the office. For many talented physical therapists being recruited, a practice that places value on being environmentally friendly is an impressive and modern facility.
Why choose Agile EMR software?
Agile EMR is a platform for workflow management designed for physical therapists, by physical therapists. Our electronic medical record system is cloud based. As a result, your patient records are stored on off-site servers and accessible with a Wi-Fi connection at any time. Our software solution is made for enhancing clinical and administrative procedures by helping practices accomplish the following:
- Manage workflow for clinicians and the administrative team.
- Schedule appointments for patients on the calendar.
- Access customizable templates for documentation.
- Store patients’ health details.
- Maintain treatment logs.
- Record notes in subjective, objective, assessment and plan (SOAP) format.
- Manage referrals.
- Streamline billing.
- Ensure compliance with HIPAA regulations.
Learn more about Agile EMR
Interested in learning more about how AgileEMR’s system capabilities can help outpatient physical therapy providers build a better future for their teams and for their patients? Our foundational electronic medical record software offers a variety of benefits for health care workers and patients alike. We were even selected as Software Advice’s most recommended medical software of 2021.
Still not convinced? Contact our team today for more information or to schedule a demo to see Agile EMR in action.